Thursday, March 26, 2009

Volunteering

This morning we went back to the old people’s home. This time we were set to work a little quicker, and we felt a lot more useful.

Nadim was tasked with cleaning and greasing the wheels on a trolley. He was quite happy to make his hands greasy and fiddle with various parts and even use tools again! I think he might have been missing his man cave (or garage as they are known to most of us).

As for me, Nadim helped me out by suggesting to the sister who had put him to work that I would be happy to help him if there was nothing else for me to do. The sister told him that this wasn’t women’s work and wondered whether I could sew. Nadim gave me a glowing recommendation and so I was set to work in the room next door hemming sheets.

I used a sewing machine that was operated with a manual foot peddle. The machine looked like an antique to me, but once I figured out how to make it go forward, instead of backwards, it seemed to work fairly well. I guess they use the foot peddle powered ones because they are less expensive and aren’t plagued by power outage issues. I’ve seen many shop keepers working away with these ancient looking machines, but I guess it does the trick.

The girls helped us a bit, but at lunch time they helped us in the dining hall serving the residents. Nadim and Roya helped in the mens dining hall, and Yasmin and I worked in the women’s dining hall. These folks seem to have quite good appetites!

After lunch it was time for us to head back to the Baha'i Centre and finish our school work. We all perfer school work in the mornings, but for one week we can manage this way.


CM

No comments: