Sunday, April 26, 2009

Bunratty Castle & Park

Despite the continuing rain we had a great time at Bunratty. It is a historic park that has a restored castle and many old farm houses and thatched cottages that were relocated there from various locations in Ireland.

The castle was the most impressive with its many spiral staircases, great halls, and other rooms. A good friend told me that her father had grown up in a castle in Scotland. I can now well imagine the incredible games of hide’n’seek that would have been part of his childhood!

As we entered the various cottages we read some of the descriptions where “small farm house” or “simple farm house” or “poor farm house” seemed to feature prominently. So of course the running joke was about the poor, small, simple famers! Where were the rich, large, complex farm houses?

It was fun to step back into history and to tour other people’s homes! Actually I was struck by how similar some of the more prosperous homes were to the ones in Upper Canada Village. You can certainly see where many of our Canadian ancestors came from.

Although we felt rather cold and wet by the end of it, I think we all enjoyed our trip to Bunratty!

CM

3 comments:

GreenishLady said...

I spotted this post linked in "Baha'i Views". I'm a Baha'i from Limerick (though I live in Donegal). It's interesting to see my homeplace through the eyes of visitors. I hope you'll enjoy your stay in Ireland.

Nadim and Christina said...

Hi there. Nice to hear from you. We met some of the Baha'is in Limerick last night. I'm not sure how we got linked to "Baha'i Views". Could you tell us about this website?

Still enjoying the sights of Ireland!

Nadim & Christina

Glenn said...

Great stuff you guys. Denise and I enjoyed Bunratty too when we were there. Miss you all. Itll be good to see you when you're back. Glenn